What is Saltillo Tile?
Saltillo tile is a type of terra-cotta tile originating from Mexico. This tile is one of the two most famous products from Saltillo, Mexico. Saltillo tile has many different locations in Mexico that are now manufacturing this high-fire tile. There are some basic colors of this tile, but most of the tiles range in hues of reds, oranges, and yellows. Quarried clay is pressed with a wooden frame to get the desired shape, then when it is time for firing, the color of the clay turns into a yellow and can go all the way into a rich orange.
Interesting fact about this type of tile is its highly porous and can absorb liquids easily. Professional tile experts recommend that Saltillo tile is sealed properly to maintain its beauty and keep it free from any type of water damage. For more information about Saltillo Tile, see wikipedia.
The Pros of Saltillo Tile
One major advantage of having Saltillo tile is the fact that you were able to install this outside. This tile is very dense and can be installed around pools or even a patio installation. During the cold weather, Saltillo tile should not break.
The customization of this tile is another huge pro. If you are a person that enjoys creating your own specialized flooring and designs, then you are going to appreciate all of the different options that you will have to choose from. You will be able to design and install it for that is one-of-a-kind.
Saltillo tile has a very unique style that you will not be able to get from any other tile. Homeowners that enjoy the old traditional Mexican look are going to be very happy with this type of tile. Plus, besides installing this tile inside your home, you also will be able to create a masterpiece of an outside barbecue area.
Saltillo tile is very affordable. Your flooring consultant will be able to get you a price range for the desired tile that you are seeking.
The Cons of Saltillo Tile
- Saltillo tile can get very hot. If you decide that this is the type of tile you want to install outdoors, you need to be prepared that your tile is going to get very hot if it is under the sun.
- The high maintenance is also another drawback. This tile is going to need a great deal of regular maintenance in order to keep it properly sealed from staining or the absorption of water. Porous tile is famous for needing to be sealed on a regular basis.
- High-traffic areas are not highly recommended for Saltillo tile either. This type of tile is going to show scuffs and scratches, and it will wear faster. Homeowners will need to be very careful when walking on the tile and they also will need to clean up any spills immediately.
- The installation process of this tile is also fairly difficult. Grouting Saltillo tile is hard because grout can sometimes get into the tiles.
Cost To Install and Repair Saltillo Tiles
The cost to install Saltillo tile is going to average around $5300 – $6500 per 350 sq/ft. this is including purchasing about 15 extra square feet of materials (good idea just in case of a mistake). Labor for this type of installation is going to be around 70 hours, then a homeowner needs to add an extra $500 for supplies and tools. This installation can also go up in price if you have difficult cuts that need to be made. Consulting with your tile specialist is the best way to find out a more accurate estimate.
Repairing Saltillo tiles is going to be very from project to project. Depending on the amount of damage that you have your tile floors, it is recommended that you consult with your Saltillo tile specialist to go over all of the different options you have to choose from. Many times a tile specialist will be able to give you ideas that will be much more affordable than you originally anticipated.
Saltillo Tile Design Ideas
- Adding Saltillo tiles to a Mediterranean kitchen will add a nice warm rustic color to your kitchen. It is great with exquisite teal shades and also looks really great with deep shades of wood cabinets.
- Create a unique entryway into your home with Saltillo tiles. You can add ambience and customization by selecting the right colors that will enhance your home. Homeowners can even change it up a bit, and add additional tiles with bright colors to make the customization even more select.
- A kitchen remodel is the perfect time to add Saltillo tiles. Not only will you be able to plan out your kitchen better, but you also can consult with your tile flooring specialist about all of the different options that you have to choose from. Warm colors for your kitchen added with a unique wall color can really make these remarkable tiles stand out even more.
- Want to add brilliance to your Saltillo tiles? Designing plan out your own pattern that you want enhanced using your Saltillo tiles. These tiles will be excellent for bordering your own design pattern that you want to enhance with the warm colors of Saltillo tiles.
- Patios are another great place to add Saltillo tiles. You can finally add decorative tiling for a garden entryway or if you are hoping to add a bit more color to an outside barbecue, then use tiles are going to be perfect for the occasion.
- Another great place to add Saltillo tiles is by creating an outdoor wall with a customized mural. This can be a great way to add a decorative touch to your backyard or outside area. Guests will absolutely love the finishing touch.
As you can see there are plenty of different options that homeowners will be able to choose from when it comes to working with Saltillo tiles. Your tile specialist will be able to direct you in the right have, so that you are able to find exactly what you are looking for and create a true masterpiece that will complement your home.